Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Quarter of a Century


A score and a quarter ago
Seas were calm as sleeping ice
A quarter of a century later
Time and tide by waves arise

Sailors race with cannonballs
In bulletproof vests
Wars are fought for peace
And in peace the many rest

Where current be, we sail
And let stars navigate
Since birthing stalled I not
Til now I ne'er do wait

I'm anchored to the vast
Where danger say there be
My boot brings me to venture
And emprise comes to me

I've been to waters lost
And have found ships a-sunk
I've been soberest when dreams
Forgot to get me drunk

I've been loving, hating, torn
Between the locker and the green
It has been dearly nondescript
The moments that I've been

Now's familiar, only further
Still in feat, but parlous more
And the skirmishes that dabbed me
Had emended me to core

I'm in a race with cannonballs
In my bulletproof best
I protect my vessel's peace
By ruling every test

From a score and a quarter ago
Mind this soul i have become
You can hide the rest away
But I'll always find the rum

No comments:

Post a Comment